The City of Cape Town has awarded a tender for the development of the Clifton Precinct. The proposed development will improve public access to the beach, ocean and recreational facilities as well as protect the natural vegetation, enhance local and international tourism potential, and unlock investment to drive job creation.

Five hectares (31%) of the 16ha site will be potentially developable, while the remaining 11ha (69%) of the site will be upgraded to an Urban Park along the lines of the Green Point Park area.

The City of Cape Town advertised the tender for the development of the City-owned land between the Clifton bungalows and Camps Bay in 2016.

The City’s Immovable Property Adjudication Committee (IPAC) has awarded a R1 billion tender for the development of the Clifton Precinct to K2015298271 South Africa (Pty) Ltd.

A thorough and rigorous supply chain management process was followed for the City-owned land between the Clifton bungalows and Camps Bay.

Five ha of 16 ha has been made available to the successful bidder for the development of:

• two pockets of single residential developments consisting of 52 residential stands
• a boutique hotel or serviced apartment site consisting of 3 500 m²
• a commercial component (restaurants and retail) consisting of 5 000 m²
• a mixed-use component (offices, studios, apartments) consisting of 2 250 m²
• an underground parking facility consisting of approximately 725 bays

Sections of the four erven located in this area will be sold and others leased for a period of up to 50 years. This means that sections of the land parcels will be developed and managed by the private sector as sustainable assets for future generations. The leased land will return to the City after the 50-year lease period has lapsed.

The successful bidder must upgrade the surrounding public infrastructure as follows:

• The Maiden’s Cove picnic area must be upgraded into a coastal park similar in stature to that of the Green Point Urban Park
• Victoria Road must be upgraded to improve the safety of pedestrians and cyclists
• Parts of The Glen trail and Kloof Road sidewalks must be upgraded to improve pedestrian movement and access
• The Clifton and Glen Beach steps must be upgraded and rehabilitated
• The Clifton Surf Lifesaving Club buildings must be rehabilitated

New public infrastructure to be developed by the bidder includes:

• A boardwalk between Camps Bay and the Maiden’s Cove coastal park in Clifton
• A Bantry Point Caves boardwalk to give the public access to this part of the shoreline
• Redevelopment of the Glen Country Club clubhouse and recreational facilities

The cost of the investment in the upgrading of existing public infrastructure and the construction of new public infrastructure will be funded by the City.

The City will allocate at least 10% of the financial offer to affordable and inclusionary housing projects on well-located land in Cape Town’s inner-city.

The City-owned land between the Clifton bungalows and Camps Bay – inclusive of the Glen Country Club, Maiden’s Cove, a sports oval and garages for bungalow residents – is currently in a degraded state. This development will rejuvenate the surrounding area; improve public access to the beach, ocean and recreational facilities; protect the natural vegetation; enhance local and international tourism potential and unlock investment to drive job creation.

The planning processes and required statutory public participation for the development of the site will take place in accordance with the Municipal Planning By-law and Municipal Finance Management Act.

For more information about this site and its development see the other documents provided on this webpage.