Call Centre: 0800 65 64 63
From the experience of many countries, bike share projects are a proven concept in certain cities. As a form of public transport, they:
• Cater for the smallest distances
• Promote a healthy lifestyle
• Provide for tourists
• Provide transport for the last mile of travel
• Represent an important component of integrated transport
Cape Town is renowned as the most bike-friendly city in Africa. It received an award in 2012 for the longest continuous cycle lane in Africa – 16.4 km. In order to build on the City’s established cycling culture, TDA is currently evaluating the feasibility of implementing bike share in Cape Town and if found to be feasible, TDA will be developing a prospectus in support of a call for proposals from investors to implement a bike share project in Cape Town as part of the public transport network.
Some of the characteristics of a possible bike share system are that:
• It must be well run, attractive, and easily accessible to users so as to befit such a high-profile project within the City
• The routes are yet to be determined and are dependent on feasibility investigations but TDA considers that they might run from Woodstock through the Central Business District and the Waterfront, and then on to Sea Point.
• It must be integrated with other modes of transport (such as being located near railway stations) so as to promote intermodal transport
• The number of bikes to be provided must be capable of supporting an efficient and effective service
• It must provide local employment opportunities
In the event of a bike share system being feasible, TDA could award a long term contract of to ensure that a successful bidder will be able to make an attractive return on its investment through the revenues generated by the project. In accordance with TDA’s ethos, this contract would be performance based to ensure that the bike share provider delivers an excellent service.
Your continued feedback is important to us. Please take a moment to share your thoughts and experiences on our website and any of our services.