A new traffic calming policy, aimed at addressing a backlog of 500 projects and protecting vulnerable pedestrians such as children on their way to school, is being considered by the City of Cape Town. Residents, role players and interested parties are requested to air their views during the public participation process that is currently underway.

Each year Transport for Cape Town (TCT), the City’s transport authority, receives more than 400 requests for the implementation of traffic calming measures. Counting among these are requests for speed humps, raised pedestrian crossings and intersections, mini-traffic circles, road markings and road narrowing as devices to force drivers to slow down on residential roads.

‘Over the past years, we have seen an increase in the number of requests for traffic calming measures, which can be attributed to the deterioration in driver discipline and a general disregard for the rules of the road by all types of road user. Given the current backlog and the steady increase in requests, it has become necessary to revisit the current regime. As such, a new policy which seeks to prioritise the implementation of these measures where pedestrians, and particularly children, are most vulnerable i.e. at schools, parks, libraries, etc. is now on the table and ready for public comment,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron.

There is currently a backlog of 500 traffic calming projects to the value of R30 million.

‘The purpose of the new proposed policy is to provide for a system that is financially sustainable in the long-run; responsive to critical safety problems on residential roads; and that will assist in eliminating the backlog within a reasonable time,’ said Councillor Herron.

Counting among the new policy proposals are the following:
  • That TCT implement traffic calming measures on roads adjacent to existing schools as a matter of priority with the benchmark of at least 50 schools per year.
  • That Ward Councillors may identify, motivate and fund traffic calming measures in response to a proven history of accidents on a road or in response to a recent and very urgent incident that demands immediate intervention.
  • That private persons or organisations may also fund traffic calming measures, subject to the prescribed conditions.

‘The proposed policy also stipulates on which roads the interventions may be implemented and how the public should be consulted,’ said Councillor Herron.

The following directives are proposed:
  • Speed humps, raised pedestrian crossings and intersections, mini-circles and other traffic calming measures may be implemented at any location on a Class 5 residential road in the vicinity of public facilities.
  • Traffic calming measures may only be implemented at intersections or locations where a significant number of pedestrians cross a Class 4 distributor road in the vicinity of public facilities. Calming measures may not be implemented elsewhere along Class 4 roads.
  • Calming measures should not cause a hazard to any road user.
  • Calming measures must be implemented in a way that minimises the effect on public transport users.
  • TCT must implement calming measures at 50 schools each year, the funding of which is to be provided by Council.
  • TCT must implement an additional 150 traffic calming projects from the priority list each year in an effort to eradicate the current backlog. These projects are also to be funded by Council.
  • Ward Councillors may identify the need and motivate for traffic calming measures on a Class 5 residential road and Class 4 distributor road and shall reserve ward allocation funding for the design and implementation thereof.
  • Other directorates within the City requiring traffic calming measures at public facilities shall provide the funding for these interventions Private individuals, companies and organisations may fund the investigation, design and implementation of calming measures at public facilities, subject to the stipulated provisions.
  • Ward Councillors and Subcouncils should be informed of the intended implementation of calming measures within their areas and be afforded the opportunity to comment on the proposed measures.
  • Owners of property adjacent to a road on which calming measures are proposed to be implemented should be offered the opportunity to comment.

‘The public participation process commenced on Wednesday 1 July 2015 and will close on 16 August 2015. I want to urge residents and interested parties to please take the time to submit their written comments about the proposed policy. We are trying our best to make our roads as safe as possible for all road users, in particular for our children, but we cannot do this on our own. Apart from obeying the rules of the road, residents can also play their part by assisting us to find the delicate balance between policy, resourcing, engineering and education,’ said Councillor Herron.


The City of Cape Town is reviewing its The City of Cape Town is reviewing its Traffic Calming Policy.

In terms of section 17 of the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, Act 32 of 2000, the public and interested parties or groups are given the opportunity to submit comments, recommendations or input to the municipality from 1 July to 16 August 2015.

Translated versions of the policy are available here (English | Afrikaans | isiXhosa).

Comment forms are available here (English | Afrikaans | isiXhosa).

Comments, recommendations or input may be submitted by:

People who are unable to read or write and who have disabilities, as well as disadvantaged groups who are unable to submit written comments are encouraged to contact Anele Viti on 021 400 1652 or e-mail anele.viti@capetown.gov.za for special assistance.

For further information on general public participation, contact Ruche Daniels on 021 400 1766 or e-mail ruche.daniels@capetown.gov.za.

For more information on the Traffic Calming Policy review, contact Garth Elliott on 021 812 4411 or e-mail  Garth.Elliott@capetown.gov.za.

The Draft Traffic Calming Policy is available for viewing at subcouncil offices and City libraries.